Buy GoPro HERO Camera at GoPro.com

Thread: topwater rods

River Basser ROARING WATERFALL Pirate wader's Avatar

Default topwater rods

Heya guys im looking for some suggestions for a good topwater rod. What kind of things do you look for in a good topwater rod like length? Taper? And action? Any suggestions or in put would be greatly appreciated. My budget is right around but hopefully less than 100 bucks.

River Basser RIVER BASSIN FLOOD Shoal Tide's Avatar

I use a Lamiglas 7'3" topwater special.....absolutely luv it....gonna cost more than $100 though

RB State Rep RIVER BASSIN FLOOD blake's Avatar

It depends on which type of topwater I am throwing.
    Starting with extra-fast and working toward more moderate action:

Frogs/mouse
    WTD
    poppers
    prop baits
    wakebaits
    buzzbaits

If I can stand up, I like a long rod (min. 7'). While sitting in a kayak or canoe, I like shorter butts which come on shorter production rods. Also with wtd, you need a short rod (or highstick) to make it walk while sitting down.

Sorry I can't help you on brands, as most of my rods are either custom, or older models.
    Last edited by blake; 02-10-2012 at 09:57 PM.

River Basser ROARING WATERFALL Pirate wader's Avatar

Thanks guys. this actually helps me a lot I've gotta good buzzbait rod so this one will be more walk the dog lures. Thanks for the help. Shoal tide the lamiglas is a bit out of my price range but ill use its specs to compare it to others.

River Basser TRICKLE

Default Walk the dog stick..

I made a nice 5' WTD rod last year...Batson 6' spin blank.rated for 5/8oz or so, fast action...cut down to 5', 4" cork grip, reel seat, and some guides is about all you need..

River Basser RIVER BASSIN FLOOD Double Haul's Avatar

I have a 7 foot 4 inch bass pro extreme medium action that I feel is great for topwater. I can walk the dog sitting down in a canoe. I just hold the rod further out to keep the tip level with the water. I also have a blue browning rod that is a 7 ft. medium. i can't remember the model. For shoal bass fishing I prefer the long rods to make long casts, cover water, and work seams. If you want to beat the banks w/ topwaters then you may want to throw a 6.5 footer to 6 footer for more accuracy although you will get pretty acurate w/ the long rods if you keep throwing them.

River Basser RIVER BASSIN FLOOD Lawnmowerman's Avatar

BPS has some great rods for $39. I think there just the IM7's, or something, but they have all different lenghts & weights.
    I've got a 7'er that they call MH, and it is, but I found one that had a little "give" at the tip, and I think that is a good thing.
    IMO, for med size cranks, and top water baits, there should be a good "back bone" along with a "soft" tip.
    Like I said, at BPS you're sure to find one to your like for less than $50.
    It could ALWAYS be worse!

River Basser RIVER BASSIN FLOOD Bayou Shoal's Avatar

I like the G Loomis 6.8 TW Special & ditto on the Lamiglas 7.3 TW rod....Unfortunately, both are over $100.00. Keep an eye on Ebay, you can always score some top end rods on the cheap there.
    Ask not what your Shoal Bass can do for you - ask what you can do for your Shoal Bass Let em go!

River Basser RIVER

I have been using a David Fritts cranking rod by Lew's Model LCR66M 6'6" medium 10-25 pound line and 3/8 to 1 ounce lures. this is a glass composite rod that cost around 50 dollars. I have been very happy with this rod and it handles walking baits with ease, I also use this rod with poppers and buzz baits. I have no problems using this rod in my Coosa.

River Basser BROOK VirginiaRiverGuy's Avatar

Lots of variation in what people are using. For throwing top water from a kayak, I use a 5' 6" pistol grip bait casting rod that I built on a Lamiglas medium power back in '86. Back then it was considered a medium to medium light "worm rod."

River Basser RIVER BASSIN FLOOD Bayou Shoal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaRiverGuy View Post
    Lots of variation in what people are using. For throwing top water from a kayak, I use a 5' 6" pistol grip bait casting rod that I built on a Lamiglas medium power back in '86. Back then it was considered a medium to medium light "worm rod."
    Man, that's old school, pistol grip Lamiglas! Very cool! I have fished Lamiglas for years now, very well built rods.
    Ask not what your Shoal Bass can do for you - ask what you can do for your Shoal Bass Let em go!

River Basser BROOK VirginiaRiverGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Shoal View Post
    Man, that's old school, pistol grip Lamiglas! Very cool! I have fished Lamiglas for years now, very well built rods.
    Yep, some things just do the job and nothing really better comes along. Maybe it would fish better if it were orange, purple or white, LOL. This was actually my own build, but done from a kit offered by Cabelas. I used an Ambassadeur 2500C reel on it for 20 years until 2006 when I broke down and replaced it with a Curado.

River Basser TRICKLE

I prefer fiberglass casting rods to be honest, but I will use slow action graphite or composite rods. If I can find it, I like a pistol grip on a rod less than 6' long for all fishing on our creeks here, but especially for topwater. What can I say, I am weird.
    Andy Webb