Buy GoPro HERO Camera at GoPro.com

Thread: Quick Nucanoe Review

River Basser CREEK

Default Quick Nucanoe Review

I just bought a 10' Nucanoe. I only took it out 1 time so keep that in mind. Mostly I'm comparing it to my Ultimate 12.

Pros:

Much more stable and comfortable than the Ultimate 12. I got a padded swivel seat (any boat seat fits). I forgot how nice it is to fish out of a swivel seat. Plus you're elevated above the floor by almost a foot. More room than the Ultimate 12. Paddling position seems very comfortable because you can hold your hands low.

Cons:

Heavy, 59 pounds plus luxury seat. I'm glad I got the 10' model. It's 18 pounds lighter. Unless you want to stand or fish with 2 people I'd go with the 10' model. I'm returning the cart that's made for the Nucanoe. It's easy to attach but it doesn't support the weight of the boat. I'm ordering a center kayak cart, maybe a wheeleez tuff tire cart. It seems slower paddling than my Ultimate 12, but I'm not sure by how much. I'll know more when I take both boats out at the same time.

I wider hull usually means a slower paddle, I would think because of the drag... I wonder about it's tracking ability - did you notice much sway side to side when you were paddling?

I'm also looking at this model for my ol' man; he fell out of my Coosa TWICE reaching behind him to get a cold drink out of the cooler... gotta find him a boat that he won't fall out of (if such a boat exists).

I reccon that the 10ft model would be easy enough for him to handle, being 66yrs old, too!
    Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You, Ask What You Can Do For Your Country... JFK

River Basser CREEK

The tracking seemed OK. Not as good as the Ultimate 12 but it wasn't like I was spinning around like a top. It mostly felt heavier than what I'm used to.

I'd like to see some other companies make a wider boat, just to see what they come up with. I think the 30" width barrier that kayak makers seem to have self imposed on themselves is wrong. It seems like they all take their touring kayaks and slap some rod holders and call it the fishing version. I think if they shorten and widen the standard version you'd have a better fishing craft, the sacrifice would be paddling speed obviously.

What I'm wondering with the Nucanoe is if they would've been better off with a single hull layer design like the Ultimate 12. It seems like you waste alot of weight with the double hull, SOT design. I'll bet you could make a boat with similar dimensions to the Nucanoe with a single layer design and shave 10 pounds off the weight. Don't get me wrong, I still like the Nucanoe and I'm probably going to be getting rid of my Ultimate 12s.

RB State Rep RIVER BASSIN FLOOD blake's Avatar

By dropping to a "single" hull it would not have the strength and would fold over on itself. Similar pushing the width out wider will not make the hull plane out better, only so much force you can apply with a paddle. The only way to make a hull wider (in poly) without risking hull collapsing, is to make a compound shape (say pontoon) or go double hull. Both options have limitations. PS true touring kayaks are much narrow, 23-34" range.

River Basser CREEK

Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    By dropping to a "single" hull it would not have the strength and would fold over on itself. Similar pushing the width out wider will not make the hull plane out better, only so much force you can apply with a paddle. The only way to make a hull wider (in poly) without risking hull collapsing, is to make a compound shape (say pontoon) or go double hull. Both options have limitations. PS true touring kayaks are much narrow, 23-34" range.
    I agree that an unsupported "single layer" hull would collapse but what I was thinking was maybe you could reinforce the single hull design more efficiently than with an entire new "layer". Suppose your double layer boat weighs 60 pounds. I'm going to guess that the inner layer weighs a little less than half that. Maybe 28 pounds. It seems to me a smart engineer could use maybe 18 pounds of plastic to reinforce the "single" hull in strategic places, thus saving 10 pounds. But I'm just guessing. And I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express.

All good comments & Ideas... are their any kayak outfits in the GA/SC area that carry the NuCanoe in stock that I can go see & put my hands on??? thanks, Rob.
    Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You, Ask What You Can Do For Your Country... JFK

River Basser CREEK

Quote Originally Posted by robday1211 View Post
    All good comments & Ideas... are their any kayak outfits in the GA/SC area that carry the NuCanoe in stock that I can go see & put my hands on??? thanks, Rob.
    Looks like Greenville has one:

http://www.nucanoe.com/find-a-dealer/

River Basser CREEK

Update: I'm selling my Nucanoe! It's too heavy and slow for me. I'm sticking with my Ultimate 12s. Much faster, especially in wind. It was really tough to get across even a small pond in the Nucanoe when the wind is blowing.