Buy GoPro HERO Camera at GoPro.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: February, Walleye SW VA

River Basser RIVER BASSIN FLOOD Catawba's Avatar

Default February, Walleye SW VA

I picked up a tip but I can't remember where that February and Walleye and a certain well travelled river in southwest Virginia add up to some potential winter fun. Anybody up that way interested?
    Long may you run

not up that way, but interested and can travel!

RD
    My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I picked up a tip but I can't remember where that February and Walleye and a certain well travelled river in southwest Virginia add up to some potential winter fun. Anybody up that way interested?
    That would be the upper New River above Claytor lake. Walleye run upstream to spawn and often concentrate in the stretches below Foster Falls.

River Basser WATER DROPLET Derek's Avatar

Alot of walleye also caught below buck dam in ivanhoe. I think the state record was caught there. Alot of flat water from buck dam down to austinsville, got a few rapids when you get close to austinsville

River Basser WATER DROPLET

there are a ton of walleye in the Staunton down my way. dont know much about targeting them but would love to learn. can you all shed some light on targeting them in the flowing water in the spring? cranks? live worms bumped on the bottom? grubs?

River Basser ROARING WATERFALL

Quote Originally Posted by tjn293 View Post
    can you all shed some light on targeting them in the flowing water in the spring? cranks? live worms bumped on the bottom? grubs?
    On the Potomac, the best Walleye bait for me is a chartreuse 4" grub on a 1/16-1/4oz ball head jig. I've also caught them (accidentally) on smal, multicolored sparkelingl jerkbaits.

Back in the day when I thought the river was cleaner, I'd target them for the dinner plate with 1/2 nightcrawler on a small ball head jig; now I wont eat anything out of my local waters.

I wouldnt mind making a day trip to the New above Claytor to do a little walleye fishing. Im about 1.5 hrs from Foster Falls

River Basser RIVER BASSIN FLOOD JustFishin's Avatar

Catawba

I haven't in the past targeted river walleye but I know a lot of folks go after them during their migration out of the local lakes. I understand that the Foster Falls area attract a lot of anglers this time of year.

It would be fun to get a group of RiverBassers together for a run at these fish especially if a few of them could provide some guidance for the rest of us. I've caught plenty of walleyes in area lakes on jerkbaits and jigs but those catches have been while fishing for bass. I guess the same tactics would work in the rivers.

Let me know if you plan on a trip up this way and I'll see if I can work out a possible hook-up. I'm always up for something new.

Gone fishing, be back at dark thirty

Count me in... Would love to fish that area... Lived in Roanoke for 32 years and never did fish this area... Cold this time of year, but there are a few campgrounds around that area that seem reasonable, if anyone is interested... Also, saw these regs:

Walleye fishing in 2011 should be fair on the upper New River from Fries Dam downstream to Allisonia. Crankbaits, jigs and live minnows are working well during the late winter and spring season. Catch rates of walleye from sampling in 2010 were high and this should translate into good fishing catch rates this year. Anglers caught the most walleye in the months of February through April but walleye were caught throughout the year. There is a new walleye size and creel limit in effect on the upper New River starting February 1, 2011. It is a seasonal protective slot limit with a reduced daily creel limit.

From February 1st through May 31st all walleye 19-28 inches caught from below Buck Dam downstream to Claytor Lake Dam must be released unharmed. Anglers fishing this area can creel 2 walleye per day that are less than 19 inches or over 28 inches.

For the remainder of the year, June 1st through January 31st, a 20-inch minimum length limit on walleye, five fish per day creel is in effect for Claytor Lake and the New River above Claytor Lake Dam.

This regulation was established to allow anglers to harvest a few smaller male walleyes (less than 19 inches) or a trophy female walleye (greater than 28 inches) while protecting the best spawning-size walleyes during the spring months.

Biologists will be tagging walleyes again in 2011 as part of the statewide research project. A cash reward of 20 dollars is offered for the return of the tag and catch information. Anglers can remove the tag by cutting through the monofilament attachment with scissors or a knife. The fish can then be released or harvested (minimum length limits apply). Return the tag and catch information to the address printed on the tag. Catch information includes: date, time and general location of catch, "Was the fish harvested or released?", "Were you fishing for walleyes?", and "Did you catch other walleyes on this fishing trip?"

I've seen Foster Falls mentioned enough times to move it to my first choice. Enthusiasm pushes me to want to go this weekend, but the weather forecast mentions windy conditions which is something I'd like to avoid especially at this time of year.

I've been to FF in ealry spring before but have not fished it . It's an open area as I recall with plenty of parking and just below the ledge is fairly flat water that you could "paddle up and back" from the one launch. I recall also seeing more than a couple outboard driven flat bottom boats.

There is a walk-in camp area there as well, but I'm not really equipped for really cold weather. Let's keep an eye on the forecast.
    Long may you run

I'm game for doing this. Not necessarily this weekend but who knows. Up north I've targeted walleye later, like the beginning of March, but it's variable and presumably earlier down here. Is there a place we can stay indoors nearby? I need to drink some beer with fishermen!

River Basser TRICKLE

Catwba, Let's give it a try. Got on the Wally's below the falls last fall. Depending on river flow, the paddle up from the launch can be a little tough. You do need to be able to anchor up. Lot's of flat water above the falls with depths to 17', 1 mile paddle upstream to base of class 2 rapid, Musky lurk here also.

Derek, If I recall the put in below Buck is down a steep bank. Is there a public takeout along the river at the old horse show ring? I have heard good reports of walleye and musky in the tailrace.

River Basser RIVER BASSIN FLOOD JustFishin's Avatar

Mike, looking forward to the hook-up - might drive up that way on Friday for a scouting trip to take a look at the water
    and the launches. Probably won't do any fishing however, due to limited time available.
    Last edited by JustFishin; 02-09-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Gone fishing, be back at dark thirty

It looks like something is going to happen here. I think Hillsville/Galax or Mount Airy for indoor stay jbcook. Finstalker and Derek know the area and I expect Patrick Reif will have some input as well. I was thinking of a day trip but why not an overnite! It's about a 2.5 hr drive for me. Icefly probably 4 or so.
    Long may you run

Thanks for the scouting trip Dale. Looks like we have a good bit of interest in this. Hope we can get some decent weather in the next few weeks to seal it.
    Long may you run